My Media Buying Process.
I begin with “audience research / demographic targeting” as to immediately focus attention on those customers most likely to take action on our offer of product or services.
Data to consider:
- Geographic location / language spoken
- Previous surfing or download activity ( are we able to target potential customers that have already downloaded similar apps or expressed interest in competitors products or services?)
- Device, Operating System, Carrier etc…
A keyword suggestion tool provides us with “basic” information as to the general search volume for a given product or service, as well a good idea as to “how competitive” the landscape may be.
Competitive Analysis / Competitive Intelligence
The use of a competitive analysis tool is an incredible time saver and provides us with extremely valuable data such as:
- Where our competitors are already advertising. ( Which Networks, Desktop, Mobile , Video )
- Which creatives they are currently using.
- Which “specific websites” they are currently running campaigns on.
- Demographic information about their visitors.
- Duration of their existing campaigns.
- Landing pages used.
Some examples: Airpush.com
A complete list of the “specific websites” that Airpush.com is currently advertising on ( solely via Google Adwords ) with the duration of the campaigns ( suggesting perhaps that “something must be working for them there ) as well examples of creatives used, can quickly be downloaded and “re-created” as a “placements only campaign”.
2. Goals and Objectives
- Defining a realistic test budget / operating budgets.
- Defining a desirable goal be it CPC, CPA, CPM etc…
3. Creative Design / Landing Page Coding / Split Testing
Taking what we’ve learned from our pre campaign research, creatives are developed ( with a minimum of at least 2 versions of each ) pages are coded and tested .
4. Run Campaign – Test – Optimize – Repeat